Emotional Intelligence - Daniel Goleman

By Izzy Afriyie

HERE IS MY REVIEW of Daniel Goleman’s book, Emotional Intelligence:

In Malcolm Gladwell’s book, Outliers, Malcolm makes the argument that after a certain point a person’s IQ does not matter in determining that person’s level of success. This book takes it a step further to argue that IQ only account for about 20% of a person’s level of success. The remaining 80% is due to non IQ related factors including emotional intelligence.

There’s an adage that encourages us to think rationally, not emotionally as though our rational minds can function completely devoid of emotions. It is our emotions that point us towards the right direction, and from there our logical mind functions. One cannot function without the other. We are first emotional beings before we are rational beings.

When two people with equal levels of intelligence, education, and related experience and practice are put together, what is going to set one apart from the other is the level of emotional intelligence each possess.

A person’s ability to identify, be aware and monitor their own emotions, motivate themselves and persist through even in the face of adversity, control their impulses, delay gratification, as well as empathize with others around them is the epitome of emotional intelligence. 

Grab a copy of this book HERE!